Portfolio Project - Music Right Owners System
Music Right Owners system is a smart client application designed for automation of the database management. The main purpose of the system is to collect reports on recent public performances from dispersed music distributors, validate reported data and pay back royalties to music contributors.
The customer is a non-profit organization that administers the performing right in music industry on behalf of copyright music owners and on behalf of affiliated international societies. It is also one of the prominent sponsors and music licensors and promoters in Europe.
For a better management of data incoming from distributors and royalties going out to contributors, the customer needed a flexible workflow automation solution. The main requirements were availability of powerful tools for database information management, connection to external sources to reliably receive data and store it in a variety of formats, recognition of formats and accurate data validation. Security, scalability and high performance were all vital factors.
To meet the customer's requirements, the EffectiveSoft team applied the latest software development practices and technologies, such as:
- Microsoft SQL Server (MSSQL Server 2005) as a database engine.
- SQL Server Reporting Services for the creation, management, and delivery of both traditional, paper-oriented reports and interactive, web-based reports.
- SQL Server Integration Services to support high performance bulk data loading / transformation packages.
- Microsoft Windows SharePoint Services to provide a file/document management portal to control, store and interact with files from information providers.
- Biztalk Server 2006 to integrate and manage business processes by exchanging necessary information between disparate applications.
- Smart Client and Enterprise Library for user interface creation and ease of installation. Now that the system is used in the organization, the customer gained better visibility into its infrastructure services, instant access to a single centralized database with the robust tools for data management.
The distributors are broadcasters, venues, pubs, hotels and other businesses who are legally and contractually obliged to inform a music rights organization (our customer) about all musical compositions used.
The contributors are artists and music copyright holders (songwriters, composers, publishers, etc.) who are paid fees for the work publicly performed based on a number of parameters related to the performance activity, record sales, and some others.
Key technical characteristics of the system:
- The database contains the information about right owners, musical compositions and payments.
- The data collection module (Parsing) receives data from the external data sources (SharePoint Services Server), parses and stores data in the database. There are about 60 supported data formats.
- Smart client application is designed for the database management. It contains more than ten modules; each of them serves a specific purpose of managing data in the base.
- Data Migration Services is a set of services that is designed for data migration from the existent system databases.
- Jobs Service is a Windows-based service that automatically validates reported data and calculates the fees to be paid to contributors.
- Reports are based upon SQL Server Reporting Services and are used for managing, tracking and completing administrative workflows.
|Project workload||More than 25 000 man-hours|
|Lines of code||260 000|
|Technologies and Tools||.NET 2.0, WinForms, Enterprise Library, Smart Client, Composite UI application block, Biztalk Server 2006, SQL Server 2005, SQL Server Integration Services, Reporting Services, Sharepoint Services|