Portfolio Project - Electronic Document Management System
Visual Byblos Cyberspace (VBC) is a powerful and sophisticated Electronic Document Management System (EDMS), based on MS SQL Server, Windows and Web tools. The system empowers customers and service vendors to access and exchange information from any geographical location.
The interface of the system is designed to provide full access to all features of the system, but it is too complicated for non-advanced PC users. Hence, in order to allow both novice and inexperienced users to work with VBC in an intuitive manner, VBC Flex Dashboard was designed with the usage of latest RIA (Rich Internet Applications) technologies. The corporate dashboard is created as a customizable solution enabling users to consolidate personal, team, departmental, project, corporate, and even external information in a one single portal, thus enhancing communication between dispersed teams.
The customer of EffectiveSoft is a leading engineering company in Middle East. It has a dedicated IT division that develops different software for in-house use (including VBC). As we already mentioned, "VBC Full Client" user interface is designed to provide full access to all features of the system, but it is too complicated for regular users. So the customer made a research and found out that Adobe Flex technology is suitable enough to design a smart and user-friendly interface. They contacted EffectiveSoft as one of the leading offshore development companies providing solutions for Flex.
- The system is available as desktop and web-applications, with a robust role-based access security as to which information is visible, based on the security rights of the user. Support of administrative part.
- Smart visualization of information in different formats, such as those of Office applications, JPEG, PDF and archived files. Each page of a PDF document is automatically converted into a Flash page by user's request for better previewing.
- Support of RSS (Really Simple Syndication) and internal/external links, which are customizable as in which language to be displayed. External links open any website in a new window. Internal links navigate the user to Tabs or Pods.
- Possibility to use simple and advance search modes to retrieve a necessary document.
- Support of HTML pages to display web information.
- Incorporated business intelligent reporting engine, where the user can choose between multiple chart types to visualize data for a faster business decision making.
- Multi-levels (Drill Down) technique is used to allow for navigation between summarized data into a more specific level of information.
- A built-in Crystal report viewer is used allowing the users to view Crystal report files (".rpt") without having to install the application on their machine.
- Intuitive and easy- to-use interface.
- Access to the majority of the VBC functions.
- Robust and flexible environment.
- Ability to work with the VBC from any PC with a web browser and Flash Player plugin.
|Project workload||48 man-months|
|Lines of code||Flex - 45000 approx.; .NET - unknown|
|Technologies and Tools||Adobe Flex SDK 3 and 4, Flex Builder 3; Microsoft .NET, Microsoft Visual Studio 2005|